Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Crossroad?

Crossroad is a not-for-profit treatment provider for emotionally troubled youth and their families. Founded in 1883 as an orphanage, we have evolved into a center of excellence in the field of emotional treatment. We provide both residential and non-residential services including outpatient counseling, home-based therapy and casework, community-based wraparound programs, aftercare following residential treatment, day education at our on-grounds school, diagnostic assessments, secure care, PRTF (Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility), and more.

Where do referrals come from?

Crossroad receives referrals from families and health professionals. We also receive referrals from school systems, churches, the Indiana Department of Child Services, County Probation Offices, the Indiana Department of Corrections, and comparable agencies in Ohio, Michigan, and beyond.

What kind of treatment is provided by Crossroad?

Crossroad is proud of our treatment model - BRAID...which is an integrated approach to the treatment and care of children in residential care with us. There are four components to BRAID - the Therapeutic Alliance, Pyschoeducational Treatment, Trauma Informed Care, and Parents as Partners. These approaches are all excellent treatment models. Crossroad has integrated (or braided) these approaches to individualize our approach to each child’s needs, reduce the need for physical interventions, fully integrate the child into the treatment process, and involve the family as a key component to the success and future of the child.   

How is Crossroad funded?

About 80 percent of Crossroad’s annual operating budget of $6 million comes from reimbursements and fees for services. The remaining 20 percent of operating revenue and all money for capital projects comes from charitable contributions and other income sources.

What does it cost to treat a child at Crossroad?

Costs vary depending on the child’s and/or family’s needs. Non-residential services may require fees or may be covered by insurance or other funding. Residential fees, usually paid by the referral source, cover room and board, 24-hour staffing, clothing, some school supplies, routine medical care, and treatment services not billable to other sources. 

Who lives on the Crossroad Campus?

Some of our clients live as residents at Crossroad. Some are here a short time to determine diagnosis and a recommended course for treatment. Some are here because they have had multiple stays at a psychiatric hospital and are in need of intense treatment. Many girls and boys come to Crossroad because they’ve been neglected, abandoned, or physically, sexually or emotionally abused. These children and youth, ages 6 to 21, need food, shelter, clothing and health care, as well as a safe, secure and supportive environment in which to rebuild their lives. They find that at Crossroad.

Who does Crossroad employ?

Youth & Family specialists, teachers, therapists, housekeepers, cooks, maintenance technicians, and other employees are required to provide 24-hour services to children and their families and to provide the network of support for those services.